What are cookies?
Cookies are pretty cool. They make your online experience personalised by helping us show you relevant adverts when you browse other websites, helping us to understand how you are using our own website, and saving you lots of time by remembering your details. But how do they do it?
Cookies are actually small files that are stored on your computer or phone. They store small bits of data so that when you visit a website, it can remember your preferences and make sure it shows you content that is relevant to you.
All cookies have expiry dates that determine how long they stay in your browser:
- Session cookies are temporary cookies that expire automatically whenever you close your browser.
- Persistent cookies usually stay in your browser for a set period, or until you manually delete them.
Without cookies most websites wouldn’t work, that includes Scootr.
The cookies necessary for Scootr to work allow us to:
- add items to your basket and create an order
- check your order status
If you log in to Scootr using social login, the social login partner (such as Google or Facebook) will use certain cookies to allow you to log in. You can check Google and Facebook’s privacy and cookie policies on their websites.
We use some cookies to remember you and the choices you’ve previously made on Scootr to save you time and make your experience smoother.
The identification cookies we use allow us to remember:
- where you’ve ordered to before — so we can show you restaurants you might be interested in
- the address you usually want to deliver to
- any notifications you’ve dismissed — so we don’t show them to you twice
Cookies to improve the content you see
We’re always testing out new ways of making Scootr as good as it can be.
We do this by trying out new ideas with small groups of customers before rolling things out to
everybody. In order to do this we need to use… yes, you’ve guessed it: Cookies!
The cookies we use for this allow us to:
- know which versions of our website you are visiting
- control which versions you visit — to find out which ones work best
Analytics cookies help us understand how people are using our website. This helps us to constantly improve things.
The analytics cookies we use allow us to see:
- if you’ve visited Scootr before
- who’s visited our website without being logged into an account — this tells us how many
people are new to Scootr
- which parts of our website are being used and which parts aren’t
Turning off cookies
If you turn off all cookies, Scootr won’t work properly. But if you want to, you can delete your cookies and manage how cookies are used for the browser you use.
To opt out of being tracked by Google Analytics across all websites, visit